Lithuanian Composers’ Union
Lithuanian Academy of Music and Theatre
8th International Music Theory Conference
“Principles of Music Composing: Musical Archetypes”
April 23-25, 2008
The purpose of the conference is to give new impulses to the development of musicological thought, which could serve to compositional practice and teaching process. The seven preceding conferences took place in Vilnius (Principles of Music Composing: Theory and Practice 1999; Principles of Music Composing: Between Ethno and Techno 2001; Principles of Music Composing: Continuity and Innovation in Contemporary Music 2002; Principles of Music Composing: Aspects of Historical Spread 2004; Principles of Music Composing: Creative process 2005; Principles of Music Composing: Phenomenon of a Cycle 2006; Principles of Music Composing: Musical Text 2007).
1. Concept of Archetype. Correlating concepts – archetype, prototype, tradition, mentality, etc. (semantic differentiation, usage).
2. Theoretical conceptions, outlooks, sources and the development of a musical archetype.
3. Insights into archetypes within the range of musical instruments and the evolution of theoretical systems.
4. Ethnomusical archetypes and their assimilation in composing practice of different epochs.
5. Archetypes and a national identity of music.
6. Archetypes in the context of the juncture of Eastern and Western musical cultures.
7. Manifestation of archetypes in composing practice of contemporary music (20th – 21st.c.).
Paper proposals may be submitted electronically or in printed format. Electronic submissions are preferred. The abstract must not exceed 500 words. The duration of papers will be limited to 20 minutes, leaving 10 minutes for questions and discussions. Please indicate whether your proposal belongs to one or more of the conference sub themes.
Abstracts together with short CV should be sent to:
Mr. Marius Baranauskas
The deadline for proposal submissions is March 2, 2008. The proposals will be reviewed by members of the organizing committee and all applicants will be notified of the outcome in the middle of March 2008.
The main language of the conference is English.
The material of the conference – abstracts and papers will be published.