Grieg Research School in Interdisciplinary Music Studies (GRS) invites Ph.D. candidates and other researchers to a research course focusing on methods and methodology as related to the collection of data material and the analysis of data material.
Dates: November 25th -28th, 2014
Location: University of Bergen, Norway
The course will be taught through lectures and workshops. Topics covered will include:
Methods of Data collection
- Interviews: procedures and process
- Interpersonal Process Recall Method
- Working with focus groups: methods, concepts and practicialities
- Workshops will focus on how to write interview guidelines, issues of reflexivity and practical conduct of interviews
Methods of Data Analysis
- Interpretation of empirical material in qualitative music studies
- The role of theory in the process of interpreting data.
- Can hermeneutics be used as an analytical method?
- Understanding the social dimension of reflexive methodology
- “HyperRESEARCH” as a tool for analysis. Introduction and Workshop
The lecures and workshops will be given by David Hebert, Kari Holdhus, Kirsti Malterud, Randi Rolvsjord and Brynjulf Stige.
Candidates are invited to present work in progress from the fields of music education, music therapy, musicology and music performance/creative practice. For more information about the course, please visit the GRS website.
Abstract submission: Send the abstract to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for submission of abstract: Wednesday October 15th, 2014
Registration: online registration here. Closing date for registration: Friday November 14th
Please contact us at email@example.com if you have any queries.