Call for papers
International Workshop on Language, Music, and Computing
20-22 April, 2015
• Saint Petersburg State University of Aerospace Instrumentation
• Laboratory of Formal and Computational Linguistics, SUAI
• Saint Petersburg State Conservatoire named after N.A. Rimsky-Korsakov
Aims of the workshop: to encourage interdisciplinary communication and collaboration of linguists, musicians and IT-specialists in the sphere of some actual problems, among which are the following:
1. Language and music acquisition; influence of music skills on language acquisition and language processing; influence of linguistic skills on music acquisition; relationship between music and language training.
2. Linguistic and music knowledge, their structure and functioning; explicit and implicit knowledge of music and language; similarities and differences in understanding of music and language.
3. Automatic classification of linguistic and music knowledge; formal models of linguistic and music knowledge; musical information retrieval vs. linguistic information retrieval.
A Special Issue of Proceedings of Scientific Meetings at SUAI will be published after the workshop (included into Russian Science Citation Index).
• David Pesetsky, MIT
• Andrej A. Kibrik, Institute of Linguistics, Russian Academy of Science; Moscow State University
• Martin Rohrmeier, Technische Universität, Dresden
• John Frederick Bailyn, SUNY at Stony Brook
• Tatyana Bershadskaya, Saint Petersburg State Conservatory
1. Olga Mitrenina, Saint Petersburg State University
2. Sergey Krylov, Russian Academy of Science, Moscow
3. John Frederick Bailyn, SUNY at Stony Brook
4. Polina Eismont, Saint Petersburg State University of Aerospace Instrumentation
5. Natalia Degtyareva, Saint Petersburg State Conservatory
6. Anton Tanonov, Saint Petersburg State Conservatory
7. Nadezhda Solovyeva, Saint Petersburg State University of Aerospace Instrumentation
8. Natalia Konstantinova, University of Wolverhampton
9. Maria Eskevich, Dublin City University. Ireland
Languages of the conference:
Russian & English (some sessions will be simultaneously translated)
Abstracts from different fields are warmly invited. Presentations will last 20 minutes, followed by a ten minute discussion.
Abstracts should be submitted before January 10, 2015. Notification of acceptance follows on February 15, 2015. Abstracts should be 250-300 words long (without any subheadings) and clearly present a research question/aim, critical review of the literature, methodology, results and conclusions. Abstracts should be submitted as a pdf. If you wish to include any specific symbols (such as phonetic transcription), please submit your paper both in DOC and PDF format. We have the intention to select papers for a peer-reviewed special issue. Please send each abstract both in anonymized and unanonymized forms (with author(s) and affiliation) to the following address: email@example.com.
A guided tour of St.Petersburg
Concert of classical music
Saint Petersburg State University of Aerospace instrumentation
Saint Petersburg State Conservatory
Registration fee (includes program, coffee-breaks, post-conference publication, visa support (if needed)):
Early-bird fee (before March 15, 2015) – 2000 rubles, or 45 euros; students – 1000 rubles, or 20 euros;
regular fee (after March 15, 2015) – 2500 rubles, or 55 euros; students – 1500 rubles, or 35 euros.
Submission deadline: January 10, 2015
Notification of acceptance: February 15, 2015
Registration starts: February 16, 2015
Early-bird registration ends: March 15, 2015
Workshop: April 20-22, 2015