Deadline to submit proposals: extended to July 31, 2015
VISUAL MANIFESTATIONS OF POWER AND REPRESSION
IN MUSIC, DANCE AND DRAMATIC ARTS
15th Conference of Association Répertoire International d’Iconographie Musicale (RIdIM)
The Ohio State University Libraries, Columbus, Ohio
9-10 November 2015
The Conference will address research related to manifestations of power and repression reflected in the visual representation of music, dance, and dramatic arts of all periods, cultures and media, including topics related to
- the oppression of peoples and systems.
- the establishment and performance of power, supremacy and repression.
- peoples in diaspora and slavery.
- Colonial and Postcolonial discourses.
- social classes, ethnic groups, gender, sexuality.
- economic, social, religious and political discrimination.
- media and style-related discourses (for example, “photography and power”).
Also of particular interest are papers and posters that contextualise objects and issues of visual culture in its wider sense and thus present contemporary media within the subject areas. We would also be interested in papers and posters that focus on meta-discourses on manifestations of power and repression as linked with the representation of music, dance, and dramatic arts.
In recognition of the fact that the conference is hosted by The Ohio State University Libraries, the home of the Editorial Centre of the Association RIdIM database, sessions and activities related to data strategies will form an important part of the Conference. Paper and poster proposals in this area are therefore most welcome.
Proposals for papers and posters must present original research and findings, and may be on any topic related to the above themes. Paper presentations will be 20 minutes in length followed by 10 minutes time for discussion. For poster presentations a specific time slot will be assigned prior to the conference.
The language of the Conference is English. Papers and posters must be presented in person by at least one of the authors. There will be a registration fee for participation in the Conference.
Proposals for papers and posters must be submitted via the customised application form by July 31, 2015. Authors will be notified about acceptance of submissions by Friday, 21 August 2015.
Selected papers from the Conference may be published after the Conference. Authors may therefore need to ensure that any material presented is done so with the appropriate copyright clearance and that the paper presentation, or a version of it, has not been committed with a publisher. If there are any issues with this matter, please inform the organisers immediately following the submission of your paper proposal.
- Beatriz Magalhães Castro, Chair of the Programme Committee, Professor, Head of Graduate Studies in Music, Universidade de Brasília,
- Antonio Baldassarre, Professor, School of Music, Lucerne University of Applied Sciences and Arts, and President, Association Répertoire International d’Iconographie Musicale
- Zdravko Blažeković, Director Research Center for Music Iconography, The Graduate Center, The City University of New York
- Alan Green, Professor, Head, Music/Dance Library Ohio State University
- Clair Rowden, Senior Lecturer, School of Music, Cardiff University
- Tatjana Marković, Professor, Universität für Musik und darstellende Kunst Wien
- Suzanne Verderber, Associate Professor, Humanities and Media Studies, Pratt Institute
To submit a paper or poster proposal please fill in the application form following this link.
For further information please visit the homepage of Association Répertoire International d’Iconographie Musicale (RIdIM).