Following on the from the success of the York Conference on Church Music held in February 2017, the organising committee for Church Music & Worship invite proposals for this two-day international conference to be held in the Pemberton Rooms at Durham University and Prior’s Hall at Durham Cathedral on the 27 and 28 April 2018.
Our Keynote addresses will be delivered by Professor Jeremy Dibble (Professor in the Department of Music, Durham University) & The Rev’d Dr Maggi Dawn (Dean of Marquand Chapel, and Associate Professor of Theology and Literature, Yale University, USA).
Call for Papers
We invite researchers and practitioners to submit proposals which engage with a range of methodologies and perspectives on church music and worship, from academic and practice-based viewpoints. Proposals are encouraged on the broad theme of church music and worship which may address, but need not be limited to, the following topics:
- Church music and liturgy
- Church music and the media
- Church music compositional practice
- Church music, gender, and sexualities
- Historical perspectives on Church music
- International perspectives on Church music
- Theologies of musical worship
Please find information on the next two pages about how to submit a proposal and our supporters. Any questions at all may be directed to the chair of the conference committee, Enya Doyle, at firstname.lastname@example.org
We particularly welcome submissions from postgraduate students.
We also welcome scholars who may want to or have to bring children with them.
Proposals for papers should be sent as abstracts of not more than 350 words. Individual papers should be 20 minutes in length and will be followed by 10 minutes of discussion.
Proposals for organised panels of 3 speakers (1 ½ hours) and 4 speakers (2 hours) should submit a panel abstract (200 words) and individual abstracts (350 words each) in a single document together with the full names and email addresses of the participants. Questions about the organisation of panels should be directed to email@example.com
The following format should be used for proposals (send in a word doc or pdf):
- Name, affiliation (if applicable), and e-mail address;
- Type of presentation (paper, lecture recital, panel, or poster);
- Title of presentation;
- Abstract (350 words max);
- Audio-visual and other requirements (the following are available: Data projector or large plasma screen; Desktop PC; VGA, HDMI and 3.5mm audio inputs; CD player; DVD player; Visualiser; Piano)
- Brief Biography (150 words)
Questions, queries, and proposals should be sent to the chair of the conference committee, Enya Doyle, at firstname.lastname@example.org