Call for Papers:
Modes, Church Tones, Tonality: Tonal Spaces, c. 1550 – c. 1720
Deadline: June 30, 2018
The international conference Modes, Church Tones, Tonality: Tonal Spaces, c. 1550 – c. 1720 will be held at the University of Ferrara, Italy, 8–10 November 2018.
Academics, researchers, and postgraduate students are invited to submit papers on the following areas of interest:
· Tonal types and modes in late 16th-century polyphony;
· Church tones in theory and/or practice;
· Thorough bass in theory and/or practice;
· Relations between style and tonal space in the 17th century;
· Instrumental music between the 17th and 18th centuries;
· Theories of tonality up to c. 1720
Proposals for 30-minute papers in Italian, English, Spanish, German, and French are welcomed. Each submission should include the following information: author(s) name(s), academic affiliation(s), email address(es), title of presentation, abstract (max. 300 words), short CV(s), and a list of technological requirements (video projector, audio, etc).
All proposals must be submitted by June 30, 2018 to marco.mangani -at- unife.it, specifying “Conference in Ferrara – Proposal” in the subject field (mandatory).
Scientific Committee: Michael Dodds (University of North Carolina School of the Arts), Marco Mangani (University of Ferrara), Massimo Privitera (University of Palermo), Daniele Sabaino (University of Pavia – Cremona)