We are pleased to announce that the 7th MUSPRES conference will be held at the University of La Rioja, Spain, on May 23–24, 2019.
The study group “Music and Periodical Press” (MUSPRES) of the Spanish Musicological Society (SEdeM) organises since 2013 an annual conference with the objective of promoting and sharing musicological research exclusively or significantly based on periodical sources. Our next meeting will be focused on the reception of Beethoven in the periodical press published in Spanish, Portuguese or Catalan.
The official languages of our conferences are Spanish and Portuguese.
Topics to be addressed in the 7th MUSPRES include the following, among others:
- Perceptions of Beethoven’s music in the periodical press published in Castilian, Portuguese or Catalan.
- The periodical press published in the languages mentioned above as a source for the study of the audience or the performance of Beethoven’s compositions.
- The figure of Beethoven, his biography, concrete works of his authorship (in particular, his quartets and symphonies) or his catalogue as models.
- Reception of topics related to Beethoven (for instance, among others, his representations as an unadapted genius or as a hero). Uses and influence of these topics in the evaluation of other composers.
- Discursive uses of the figure of Beethoven. Analysis of his cultural meaning in musical and non-musical contexts, such as the political one.
- Beethoven or his music as an incarnation of “German music”, admired or censured in “Latin” countries.
The length of presentations shall be 20 minutes maximum. Deadline for the submission of abstracts will be 15 January 2019. Successful candidates will be notified by 31 January 2019.
Please send an abstract of under 300 words to <firstname.lastname@example.org>
You may visit our website for more information: