Expression, communication and learning
- Place: Newton Park Campus, Bath Spa University
- Dates: Thursday 7 November, 2019 – Friday 8 November, 2019
- Official website: https://www.bathspa.ac.uk/news-and-events/events/sempre-autumn-conference/
About the conference
Music performance provides an opportunity for performers to communicate and express musical ideas, emotions and even their identity. Performers communicate to their audience and other performers in the group through gestures and through breathing as well as in the performance itself.
This two-day conference is designed to bring together recent knowledge on music performance studies with a focus on expression, communication, and learning in music performance. It asks:
- What is expressive performance, and how do we know when a performance is expressive?
- Is expressiveness a prerequisite for any performance that moves the listener?
- How do performers learn to master the skills of communication and expression, and how can it be taught?