Final Call for Papers:
Birmingham Music Analysis Conference (BrumMAC 2020)
23–25 July 2020, University of Birmingham
We welcome submission of your proposals for BrumMAC 2020 – deadline due soon! See below for further details.
The Birmingham Music Analysis Conference (BrumMAC 2020), sponsored by the Society for Music Analysis (SMA), will take place on Thurs 23 to Saturday 25 July 2020 at the University of Birmingham. We welcome paper proposals on any aspect of theory or analysis, relating to music of any genre and historical period. The keynote speakers will be Dmitri Tymoczko (Princeton University) and Anna Zayaruznaya (Yale University).
Submission deadline for proposals: Sunday 19 January 2020
- Papers (20 minutes maximum, with 10 minutes for discussion)
- Paper sessions (three or four papers, each of 20 minutes maximum, with 10 minutes per paper for discussion)
- Roundtable discussions (up to 5 participants, each giving a short position paper, followed by a general discussion, total running time of 90 minutes)
- Recitals, lecture-recitals and lectures illustrated by sound diffusions or audio-visual screenings (maximum duration 45 minutes, or longer with the agreement of the organisers, subject to timetabling)
- For individual papers: 250-word (maximum) abstract
- For paper sessions: 250-word (maximum) summary and up to 250 words for each session participant
- For roundtable discussions: 250-word (maximum) summary and up to 150 words for each panel participant
- For recitals, lecture-recitals and lectures illustrated by sound diffusions or audio-visual screenings: 250-word (maximum) summary, plus participant CVs and recordings / scores / other details of works to be included in the event (contact the organisers to discuss)
- To aid the process of publishing abstracts we ask that proposals contain neither footnotes nor lists of references. In-text citations are acceptable.
Further information for applicants
- To widen participation as much as possible, only one proposal of each type is permitted per applicant
- Proposals must be sent by email as a MS Word or pdf attachment to Brummac2020@contacts.bham.ac.uk
- Proposals need not be anonymised
- A number of SMA bursaries are available to help cover the costs of travel and accommodation. For further details and to check eligibility, see http://www.sma.ac.uk/grants/travel/.
- Delegates are also welcome to apply to our Development Fund Scheme to cover the cost of attending. For further details, see http://www.sma.ac.uk/grants/development/. There is no deadline for this fund, but retrospective applications will not be considered
- All enquiries should be sent to the organisers at Brummac2020@contacts.bham.ac.uk
Chair: Dr Ben Curry (University of Birmingham)
Dr Amy Brosius (University of Birmingham)
Dr Esther Cavett (King’s College London)
Dr Ben Earle (University of Birmingham)
Prof Julian Horton (Durham University)
Dr Anne Hyland (University of Manchester)
Prof Matthew Riley (University of Birmingham)
Dr Kenneth Smith (University of Liverpool)