The University of Aveiro and INET-MD (Institute of Ethnomusicology – Centre for Music and Dance Studies) will host the 2nd International Symposium: “Music for and by Children: Perspectives from Composers, Performers and Educators”, from December 8th to 10th, 2020 in Aveiro, Portugal.
The main goal of the musichildren’20 conference is to explore aspects of music for children, and music that is created by children. It aims to stimulate discussion, develop ideas, and disseminate research in the fields of Music Composition, Performance and Music Education. This 3 day event will host paper presentations, performances, workshops and discussions from around the world.
Main conference themes
– Children as performers and audience: A forum that explores and presents research of processes that lead to music performed by children and the processes involved in performing to children.
– Composing for children: A forum that aims to explore and present research and reflections on factors that contribute to widening repertoire for children and young audiences.
– Children’s music: A forum that aims to develop new understandings of children’s creativity, and of the particular ways they create their own music, alone or in groups, in formal, non-formal and informal contexts.
Proposals for presentations compatible with the conference theme(s) are invited in any one of the following formats:
-Paper presentations (up to 20 minutes);
– Pre-formed Panel presentations. Please submit abstracts with each named speaker and their institutional affiliation (up to 90 minutes);
– Lecture-recitals (up to 35 minutes). Proposals submissions should specify exact length and be accompanied by a short curriculum of the presenter and links;
– Workshops (up to 60 minutes); Proposals submissions should specify exact length and be accompanied by a short curriculum of the presenter and links;
– Concerts involving children (up to 45 minutes). Proposals submissions should specify exact length and be accompanied by a short curriculum of the presenter and links.
Authors should submit abstracts of up to 500 words using the online submission system Easy Chair (https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=musichildren20). We recommend that submissions include information on context, theoretical background, methodology and results/findings.
Presentations for the Pre-formed Panel consist of a set of integrated spoken papers relating to a theme. Abstracts submitted in this format should be up to 300 words each. The Chair must also submit an overview, a proposal of 200 words including a general description of the session that includes the purpose, motivation, and justification for the session.
General enquiries about registration, travel, lodging should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Abstracts must be received by 31th May 2020.
Presenters will be notified by 1st July 2020.
Deadline for the full papers submission is 31st January 2021.