September 21 – September 23, 2020
mdw – University of Music and Performing Arts, Vienna
Anton-von-Webern-Platz 1, 1030 Vienna, Austria
Conference call for papers
The 11th Vienna Music Business Research Days will be held at mdw – University of Music and Performing Arts Vienna, Austria, from September 21 to 23, 2020.
Music Business Research is an inter-discipline at the intersection of economic, artistic, cultural, social, legal, technological and further developments which contribute to the creation/production, dissemination/ distribution and reception/consumption of music. This interdisciplinary nature calls for methodological multiplicity and is open to scholars from all scientific areas.
The conference organizers invite scholars (from the postdoctoral level on) who have a research focus on music business/industry related topics to submit a paper proposal for the conference day on September 22, 2020.
Scholarly submissions on this year’s conference topic “Emerging Music Markets” are equally welcome as on other aspects of music business research.
Indicative themes include but are not limited to:
- Past, current and future developments in the music industry (recorded / live / publishing / retailing / wholesaling, etc.)
- Economic and historic analyses of music markets, charts or audiences
- Issues in marketing and/or branding music, musicians or music institutions
- Aspects of musical and musician diversity in music business
- Critical discourses on the economic, social and cultural contributions of (live) music
- New products, formats and business models in the music sectors
- Strategies and strategizing of musicians and music institutions
- Situatedness and power in musician labor markets
- Agency and social practices in the music business
- Legal issues in the music business (contracts, copyright, policies) from an international perspective
- Fit for the market? Acquiring skills for the music business
- Doing things right! New solutions for fairness and transparency in the music business
- Entrepreneurial musician und music entrepreneurs
- An age of disruption? Technological developments in the music industry
Please send an abstract of your proposal to email@example.com no later than April 30, 2020.
All submissions must include a title, authors (names, affiliations, e-mails of all authors and a notation (*) of the corresponding author), an abstract of 1,000-1,500 words and 3-5 keywords. Abstracts must be submitted in English, as a MS Word file (*.doc or *.docx) or *.pdf file, and include:
- Objectives of the research
- Brief description of the disciplinary/theoretical context/background
- Research questions and/or hypotheses
- Main or expected conclusions / contribution
- Main references
Abstracts will be subject to a double-blind peer-review process by an international jury, and authors will be notified of acceptance by June 1, 2020.
Final papers should be sent before July 31, 2020. They should not exceed 7,000 words (including abstracts, figures, tables, references and appendices) and follow the author guidelines of the International Journal of Music Business Research (IJMBR). You may also want to consider publication in IJMBR after the conference.
April 30, 2020 Abstract submission deadline
June 1, 2020 Notification of acceptance
July 31, 2020 Submission deadline for full papers
September 22, 2020 Conference day (paper sessions)
September 23, 2020 Conference day for invited speakers on “Emerging Music Markets”
For students at all levels of the MA & PhD a doctoral colloquium (Young Scholars’ Workshop) will be held as part of the 11th Vienna Music Business Research Days on September 21, 2020. Find a separate call for papers here.
Registration will be open from May 4, 2020. The registration fee includes conference attendance, coffee breaks and lunch on conference days as well as the Heurigen-Dinner on September 23, 2020. Please note that there will be no refund after September 6th.
|Full registration fee|
|Until July 31, 2020 (early bird)||Euro 175,-|
|After July 31, 2020||Euro 225,-|
Slavomira Martiskova (mailto: firstname.lastname@example.org)