5 – 6 November 2020
Centre for Gender Studies,
University of Music and Performing Arts Graz (Austria)
Since the middle of the 20th century, the performative and conceptual potential of the human body has increasingly become the focus of artistic debate. Accompanied by detailed aesthetic and scientific discussion, it has now been established as a self-evident category. The conference “Body and Corporeality in 20th and 21st Century Music” deals with compositional and performative concepts that consider the expression and possibilities of movement of the human body as a substantial component rather than a subordinate, ‘inevitable’ means of the production of sound.
In order to meet the complexity of modern musical practise and touch various facets of “body” and “corporeality”, we welcome applications from various disciplines such as musicology, gender studies, theatre studies, disability studies etc. Furthermore, the call is also addressed to interdisciplinary approaches as well as contributions from artistic research.
Possible topics may include, but are not limited to:
- Working with physical boundaries in vocal performance
- Body and corporeality as intersection of the arts
- Body and media/technology
- Physical disabilities and music
- Body sound / body as a performative resource
- Vulnerability, damage and limitation of the human body
- Body, sex/gender and identity in music
- Epistemological quality of bodily experience
- Change of body images and body discourses
- Individual Papers 20min (+10min discussion)
- Lecture recitals 20min (+10min discussion)
- Panels (3-4 papers + 20min discussion, in total 90min)
- Poster Presentations (size A1)
Applications must include an abstract (max 300 words) and a short biography (max 150 words including contact details). In the case of a lecture recital, additional material (such as audio or video files) may also be included. Conference languages are German and English. Please send your proposals to email@example.com by 8 March 2020. Applicants of selected contributions will be notified by the end of March 2020 at the latest.
Conference Committe: Nadine Scharfetter BA MA (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Thomas Wozonig BA MA BA (email@example.com)