CALL FOR PAPERS
British Association for Slavonic and East European Studies (BASEES)
Study Group for Russian and Eastern European Music (REEM)
Annual Conference 2014
MUSIC AND EMPIRE IN EAST-CENTRAL EUROPE
Durham University, Music Department, Concert Room
Saturday 4 October 2014
Marking 2014 as the hundredth anniversary of the outbreak of World War I, which catalysed the disintegration of European empires and the subsequent establishment of national states, BASEES/REEM invites paper proposals on topics dealing with any aspect of the relationship between music and empire in East-Central Europe.
Suitable topics include (but are not restricted to) the following:
– the role of music in the formation of small state nationalism in the age of Empire (such as in Finland and in Balkan and Central European states pre- and post-1918);
– music as represented in imperial institutions, e.g. Russian Musical Society, Academies of Sciences, Musikvereine in the Hapsburg (Habsburg) territories;
– the disciplines of folklore and ethnography and their roles in the creation of imperial ideologies;
– the musical representation and construction of national/imperial identities, and manifestations of orientalising/exoticising tendencies;
– the continuation of empire in the twentieth century and its musical consequences (the Soviet Union, Warsaw Pact, cultural exchanges and diplomacy);
– the musical historiography of empire;
– musical education and its role in establishing and maintaining national and imperial identities;
– the effects of the decline and dissolution of empires and ’empires’ on constructed musical identities, ideologies, and official cultural policies in regard of music.
Abstracts of no more than 400 words and short biographical notes (of no more than 200 words) should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday 2 June 2014. Abstracts will be reviewed and results will be announced by 30 June 2014.
Convenors: Philip Bullock, Pauline Fairclough, Katerina Levidou, Ivana Medić, Danijela Špirić-Beard and Patrick Zuk
Any enquiries should be sent to email@example.com.